Tuesday, January 19, 2010

November 2008, Market in Cambodgy


Some other day in November, don't ask me when, I have totally lost track of time, and I'm too lazy to go to the top tool bar to look at the date. Cambodia.



The Market: there is no better way to give myself an anxiety attack than going shopping at the market. It's smelly, dirty, busy, lots of people brushing past you, touching you, hawkers, poor people begging, just horrid, horrid, horrid. Every time I get back from market it takes me at least an hour to get my heart rate down, back to normal. I know with the OCD training I've had many years ago, more exposure will get me used to it... but seriously, I can't handle it. Most of you will think, oohh how cool, the market, it seems so alive.

The thing I think I can't handle the most, being a pseudo vegetarian ('why Lisa, whhyyyyy?'), is looking at animals freshly slaughtered, or waiting to be killed, kinda makes me sad. Still for all you meat eaters, you're meat was killed before sunrise this morning; or you can take your pick of the living shit, and they will kill and pluck, and bone, and fillet, and whatever it is the fuck they do, while you wait.

Hmm, my tone sounds a bit bitter... I don't think today is a good day. The only reason I go to market is to help Anny, she can't carry twenty kilos of food by herself. Although, she does a damn good job trying. They charge me more anyways because I'm barang (khmer word for french person, but it translates to all white trash).

Man, the world would be better place if I just liked people more, and shopping didn't make me lose the will to live. (omitting pics, too lazy to upload on this shitty bandwidth)

No comments:

Post a Comment