Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tenjuberrymud


This is an email, published in the Far East Economic Review as stated below. I'm not the author, but after experiencing the phone service here, I do understand it.




For us who were "fortunate" to experience phone service. You need to read this aloud (for full effect). Just say any unfamiliar words phonetically.

It's amazing, but you will understand what "Tenjuberrymud" means by the end of the conversation. This was nominated for best e-mail of 1999. Following is a telephone conversation between a hotel guest and room-service at a hotel in Asia (just for the record, I'm also from Asia). The call was recorded and later published in the Far East Economic Review.

Here goes ...

Room Service (RS): "Morny, Ruin Sorbees."

Guest (G): "Sorry, I thought I dialed Room Service."

RS: Rye...Ruinsorbees...morny! Djuwish to odor sunteen?

G: Un...Yes...I'd like some bacon and eggs.

RS: Ow july den?

G: What?

RS: Ow july den?...pry, boy, pooch?

G: Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please.

RS: Ow july dee baychem...crease?

G: Crisp will be fine.

RS: Hokay. An san toes?

G: I don't think so.

RS: No? Judo one toes??

G: I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what "judo one toes" means.

RS: Toes! Toes!...Why djuw don juan toes? Ow bow inglish moppig we bother?

G: English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying "Toast!" Fine. Yes an english muffin will be fine.

RS: We bother?

G: No...just put the bother on the side.

RS: Wad?

G: I mean butter...just put it on the side.

RS: Copy?

G: Sorry?

RS: Copy...Tea...Mill?

G: Yes, coffee please and that's all.

RS: One minnie. Ass ruin torino fee, strangle ache, crease baychem, tossy inglish moppig we bother honey sign, and copy...rye??

G: Whatever you say.

RS: Tenjuberrymud.

G: You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment