Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Koh Samet.

Belated Posting.

I had 2 requirements for accommodation.
1. hot water
2. own bathroom.

First night the cheapest and worst hotel - 500 baht: No hot water, no aircon, own bathroom but not connected to our room and when I went in to use it, the dankness made my skin crawl, a fan which oscillated, no top sheet but a 'blanket' and a bed like wood. 2/10 for comfort. We moved.

Second night, twice the price of the first hotel, but "half of what it was on weekends" (their maths doesn't add up): hot water - tick, half decent bed - tick, own bathroom inside - tick, television - tick, aircon - tick, bedding - mmmmmm... a fucking deluge of small biting ants which besieged our room, bed, shoes, clothes, bags - totally fantastic. We moved. I left several imprints of my tacky henna tattoo on the sheets. Whoops. 6/10 for comfort.

Third night, little huts on a secluded beach at 1500 baht a night (recommended by a friend and quite picturesque): own bathroom - yes, hot water - no, a lamp for reading - woot, aircon - no, fan which oscillates - yes, a towel like blanket - yes, a plague of mosquitos - yes, leak in the roof which dripped straight onto my head when it poured down, excellent. Winner of the lot due to Mike coming out of toilet from his morning shit with a dirty bot bot saying "I can't reach the toilet paper because there is a snake in the way". Awesome. Unscorable. Like paying $80 bucks a night to stay out at Tuntable.

It was a bit too close to a camping experience with the biting insects, the indoor reptiles, the leaky roof, the hard beds, the bad sunburn. And because I spent the first few years of my life communing with nature and living in tents - I have a policy of no camping.

By then end of the three days and waking up to a snake in the shitter, I was quite eager to pack up my shit up and get the fuck out.

Returning to my own creature comfort bedroom, with my own bathroom and a hot shower - total relief. Luxury, it's like being on holiday.

Koh Samet the Island. Quite beautiful. Prices - 'Tamada' (meaning normal/neither here nor there). Snorkeling much fun, being with friends who are as moody as I am, pretty cool. I don't recommend the oil massage on the beach, think sand paper on sunburn. It's why I could never understand the notion of copulating by the seaside. The food was surprisingly good, but we mostly ate at one restaurant, its menu spanning the cuisine of about five nationalities. Next time I would look around, and stay in a more expensive place, making sure I could get as close to my bedroom as possible.

Have formatted pics into 'comic style' sans humour, and pithiness, purely because I am lazy, and it's easier to post 13 jpgs rather than 100.
















No comments:

Post a Comment